Tuesday 20 October 2015

Big Red Dog


Always following me around
Yet always where he wants to be
Chasing his mates around town
From park to post to tree
Then back to his bed, tired and serene
Feet twitching and teeth on show
He wanders and through the secret scenes
Of four legged dreams we can’t know

Then the doorbell or a knock
Will reign terror on us all
As the big red dog barks his loudest bark and call
All windows will must be visited
The door firmly closed
Before he lies down again
A well-earned rest for that nose

By evening he can be found
Near a bowl or a fridge door
Eyes darting with anticipation
At what might mistakenly be found on the floor
One last round with a soggy fluffy toy
Before finally giving in to the long day
First bed, then floor then it doesn’t matter
He’s off making doggy hay

I can’t see where she went!
How can I be sure she’s ok?
If one minute she’s sitting waiting
And the next she’s darting some other way
At least when we’re in the park
I know she won’t be hard to find
Won’t stray from the big shiny thing
That has no smell, just a shiny behind

Before long there’s another attack
A warning bell and a stranger
Brings new smells and sometimes a packet
And she’s heading straight in to danger
Now that that door’s shut there are the others
I need to check them all and fast
She doesn’t seem to even bother
So it’s down to me to stop them getting past

Then things heat up and smells start to wander
She’s busy making cupboards open and shut
And inevitably some things go asunder
And luckily I’m there to clean them up
Then at last we are together and all is calm
I amuse myself until they start yawning
And when they are sleeping and there’s no chance of harm

I can finally rest before the next day is dawning

1 comment:

  1. Billiant great to reflect from the prespective of both owner and dog. Well done :-)

    ReplyDelete